| Agility Training Tips
From: Jim and Norman's,
March-April 98 Windy City Training Classes
1. Where the dog's nose goes, the rest of the dog must follow.
2. Know the sequence before you ever walk onto the course. Don't plan on winging
it. Stay focused on the course prior to your run.
3. Work at making the activity itself the reward. Move from primary reinforcers
(food) to secondary reinforcers (praise) which you can bring into the ring.
4. Use your attitude towards your teammate and training to build the "team".
5. Dogs will take a parallel path to the handler's path.
6. Know the course because your dog doesn't. Communicate the course to your
partner with non-verbal cues. Make sure that your dog successfully negotiates
the current obstacle before worrying about then next obstacle. Don?t call out an
obstacle name unless your dog is focused on the proper obstacle.
7. A cross-behind after the obstacle is often more elegant and less susceptible to
8. Never take your eyes off your dog!
9. Remember the ABC's of agility:
a- Look at
c- Command every obstacle
To More Tips
|Direct Links To:
Coming of Norman
Norman the Poodle
The Coming of Sirocco
Sirocco the Saluki Sirocco's Pedigree
Is a Saluki for You? AKC Saluki Breed Standard
Jim's Thoughts on Living with Canine Friends
Agility Tips More Agility Tips
The Family Photo Album
Sirocco - Orchid Litter July 25, 2005
Favorite Linking Sites